Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Barbato is interested in the modeling, analysis, and design of structures subject to single and multiple hazards. Dr. Barbato’s research group focuses on the interface between high-fidelity finite element modeling and advanced probabilistic methods to develop novel design approaches and structural solutions based on innovative, sustainable materials and construction techniques. These efforts lead to new designs and structures that (1) are sustainable, economic, and safe; (2) increase community resilience to single and multiple hazards; and (3) support societal efforts in climate change mitigation and adaptation.
Awards & Honors
- 2021 Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- 2020 EMI Service Award, Chair of the Dynamics Committee
- 2020 ASCE Sacramento Section Fredrick Panhost Structural Engineer Award.
- 2020 ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize.
- 2019 ASCE Outstanding Reviewer Award for Natural Hazards Review (ASCE).
- 2019 UC Davis ACCELERATE Fellowship.
- 2019 Fellow, Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)
- 2019 Fellow, Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- 2018 AISC Advancing Structural Steel Education Award
- 2017 LSU Service award
- 2017 LSU College of Engineering Longwell Award for Instructor Excellence
- 2016 Highly Cited Paper recognition, Structural Safety, Elsevier
- 2012 Best Paper Award for Young Experts for the 12th International Symposium on Structural Engineering (ISSE-12)
- 2012 ASCE Outstanding Reviewer Award for the Journal of Structural Engineering
- 2012 LSU Tiger Athletic Foundation Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award
- 2011 ASCE Outstanding Reviewer Award for the Journal of Structural Engineering
- 2011 Junior Research Prize in the area of Development of Methodologies for Structural Dynamics, European Association for Structural Dynamics (EASD)
- 2009 ASCE Moisseiff Award
- 2007 Outstanding Alumni 2007, Department of Structural Engineering, UC San Diego
- 2007 ICASP10 Overseas Student Scholarship
- 1995-2000 “Federazione Nazionale dei Cavalieri del Lavoro” Fellowship