Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Chai focuses on performance-based design and assessment of reinforced concrete buildings and bridges. His research is guided by both numerical and experimental simulations. (For completed projects, see https://faculty.engineering.ucdavis.edu/chai/research/) Research objectives aim to provide safe and economical solutions to civil engineering structures exposed to extreme overload and normal service load conditions.
Awards & Honors
- 2012 HKIE Outstanding Paper Award, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers Transaction
- 1997 Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, College of Engineering, UC Davis
- 1996 Research Fellowship, Science and Technology Agency of Japan
- 1991 Transportation Research Board’s K. B. Woods Award
- 1990 Best Paper Award – 3rd Int. Conf. on Short & Medium Span Bridges.