Distinguished Blue Planet Prize Professor & Director of the Institute of Transportation Studies
Professor Sperling studies climate and energy policy as it relates to transportation. His research focuses on the transportation revolutions of electric, automated, and shared vehicles, with a focus on strategies and policies to create more sustainable transportation.
Awards & Honors
- 2015 Thomas B. Deen Distinguished Lectureship, Transportation Research Board
- 2014 Council Member, California Council on Science and Technology
- 2013 Blue Planet Prize
- 2010 Heinz Award for “Achievements in research of transportation fuels”
- 2009 Robert M. Zweig Public Education Award of the National Hydrogen Association
- 2008 Barry McNutt TRB Award for Best Paper in Energy (Jonathan Hughes, Chris Knittel, D. Sperling)
- 2006 TRANNY award for Organization of the Year, California Trans. Foundation (on behalf of ITS-Davis)
- 2004 National Associate, National Academies
- 2002 Carl Moyer Memorial Award for Scientific Leadership and Tech. Excellence, Coalition for Clean Air.