Distinguished Blue Planet Prize Professor & Director of the Institute of Transportation Studies
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Sperling studies climate and energy policy as it relates to transportation. His research focuses on the transportation revolutions of electric, automated, and shared vehicles, with a focus on strategies and policies to create more sustainable transportation.
Awards & Honors
- 2020 Senior Fellow, California Council on Science and Technology
- 2019 Forth's Roadmap Award for Research, ITS-Davis for “an individual or an organization that has produced compelling research that will significantly advance electric, smart and shared mobility”
- 2018 Roy W. Crum award, Transportation Research Board (highest research award)
- 2015 Thomas B. Deen Distinguished Lectureship, Transportation Research Board
- 2014 Council Member, California Council on Science and Technology
- 2013 Blue Planet Prize
- 2010 Heinz Award for “Achievements in research of transportation fuels”
- 2009 Robert M. Zweig Public Education Award of the National Hydrogen Association
- 2008 Barry McNutt TRB Award for Best Paper in Energy (Jonathan Hughes, Chris Knittel, D. Sperling)
- 2006 TRANNY award for Organization of the Year, California Trans. Foundation (on behalf of ITS-Davis)
- 2004 National Associate, National Academies
- 2002 Carl Moyer Memorial Award for Scientific Leadership and Tech. Excellence, Coalition for Clean Air.