The CDC recommends the following guidance on how to protect yourself and others in common spaces.
Suggestions from the CDC in Maintaining a Healthy Work Environment include:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a face cloth cover (aka mask) when around others. Continue to keep at least 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
• If you are in a private setting and do not have on your cloth face covering (aka mask), remember to always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow. Throw used tissues in the trash and immediately wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Clean AND disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as workstations, keyboards, telephones, handrails, and doorknobs. Dirty surfaces can be cleaned with soap and water prior to disinfection.
• Practice social distancing by avoiding large gatherings and maintaining distance (at least 6 feet or 2 meters) from others when possible.
Campus Custodial COVID-19 Disinfection Protocols
o Custodial staff will clean areas serving the staff and faculty population by different frequencies. The schedule is currently daily for high touch surfaces in common areas and weekly for labs. This may change as the building traffic increases with the ramp up of research and return to campus.
o This level of cleaning is geared towards reducing disease transmission and includes specific disinfectant recommendations effective against coronavirus.
o High TouchSurfaces to focus cleaning and disinfection: Counters, Doorknobs/handles, Lights Switch Plates, Toilet Room Surfaces, Tables and Chairs, Railings, Kitchen Surfaces, Hard surface flooring, Carpeted surface (where applicable.
Campus COVID-19 Resources
Department Specific Guidelines and Expectations for Common Spaces:
o Masks or cloth face coverings must be worn at all times in any common areas (hallways, lobby, restrooms) and in any room if more than one person occupies that space. Please email email@example.com to request a mask in advance and the distribution will be coordinated once a week.
o People must maintain physical distance (6 feet minimum) at all times and must avoid socializing/gathering in common areas of the building. In general, people should avoid sitting in common areas.
o Only one person at a time should be occupying a given restroom. There are multiple restrooms in each building so please adhere to the one person rule.
o Only one person should use the elevator at one time, unless use by multiple persons has been approved in a lab-specific SOP. People should consider taking the stairs whenever possible.
o People should be vigilant about their hand hygiene. Please watch this video on proper hand hygiene.
o Personnel who get sick with COVID-19 (or suspect they are sick) should notify their immediate supervisor, who will then notify the Chair/CAO so they can establish an appropriate response. This may include immediate, temporary closure of the building so campus cleaning services can be initiated, and the appropriate signage posted.
o The community refrigerators will be closed to faculty, staff and students.
o CEE students, staff and faculty should participate in making the department a healthy and safe working environment. You are encouraged to email safety and COVID-19 related concerns to the firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be directed to department leadership for response.